[GRASS-user] Identifying Projection/Datum From Coordinates

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 20 11:38:46 EDT 2011

   I'd appreciate advice from folks here on a question of coordinates and
projections.

   I have been given a list of site coordinates such as these:
easting: 371801.756688, northing: 427253.142826 located in northeastern
Nevada. Because they are each 6 digits (left of the decimal point) I assume
that they are in State Plane Coordinates for eastern Nevada (zone 4601) and
I want to convert them to UTM (zone 11).

   Using the NGS/NOAA SPC to GeoCoords converter results in latitudes of
either 50 degrees N (for NAD83 in meters) or 47.5 degrees N (for NAD27 in
feet), both of which are well off. I live about 45.5 degrees N and am well
north of the area of interest.

   Please suggest how I can identify the projection and datum for these
points so I can use proj4 to re-project them.

TIA,

Rich