[GRASS-user] Identifying Projection/Datum From Coordinates

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 20 14:51:31 EDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Bryan Keith wrote:

> I've done this many times, and you really just have to guess.  It helps to
> know what units your coordinates are in to narrow down your choices.
> Often you can figure that out if you have a general idea of how far away a
> couple of your points are.  Then you guess it has to be feet or meters.

Bryan/Johannes,

   I think I know what they might be; I'll be checking this afternoon and
will post the results later.

   The shapefiles from the project are projected in Transverse Mercator/NAD27
so these might be feet in the tmerc projection rather than in state plane.
I'm importing the maps I have now and will create a sites/points file with
these locations and see if they properly overlap.

   Since some of the data files were corrupted when sent to me I did not look
at them until I received a replacement disk with the missing files. Now I'm
importing them into GRASS and that's why I know the projection of the maps.

Rich