[GRASS-user] Limits on computation

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 30 09:17:53 EDT 2011

Monica Buescu wrote:

> Is there any defined limits on computation? I mean, for instance I'm
> creating a mosaic. Is there any limits on size of images or size of data
> that is known in GRASS?

You may encounter problems with maps with over 2^31 (2147483648) cells
or files over 2GiB.

The 2GiB file limit shouldn't be an issue for GRASS 7 on Unix with
large file support (LFS) enabled, but LFS doesn't work on Windows and
is incomplete in 6.x.

Some modules have problems with large amounts of data, either
requiring too much memory or taking forever to run. In these cases,
there isn't any clear limit; it depends upon how much RAM is
available, whether the system is 32-bit or 64-bit, and how long is
"too long".