[GRASS-user] Draping of Raster images

Anna Hodgkinson anna.hodgkinson at thehumanjourney.net
Thu Nov 3 10:52:18 EDT 2011

Hi,

I tried r.to.rast3elev, however, that creates 3D volumes, rather than surfaces, doesn't it? And nviz has problems displaying those, I've never managed it.

Yes, I would like to "drape" a flat 2D raster image over 3D raster surfaces or vector data. However, I would like to retain that elevation information, basically create a 3D (or 2.5D) raster image from a flat one.

Here's the case study:
I have a flat satellite image for my site.
I also have topological survey data, in the shape of a points vector layer, with z-values in the attribute table. I have a 3D layer of the same, created by using v.to.3d
I furthermore have an interpolated raster surface from the points survey data, which is 2.5D.

I would now like to drape the 2D satellite image over either the vector points or their interpolated surface and thus create a 2.5 / 3D version of the same satellite image, which I can then visualize in 3D, standalone.

Many thanks!

Anna