[GRASS-user] Creation of GISDBASE in a script

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 03:51:12 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Pierre Roudier <pierre.roudier at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for your answers,
> >
> >> For GRASS 6, see in Addons "grass_create_location.sh":
> >>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/general/grass_create_location
> >
> > I did saw this add-on, but isn't it generating a new location only (ie
> > not a new, entire GRASSDATA)?
>
> You asked
> "create a tmp grassdata/location/mapset in a script"
>
> and creating the "grassdata/" is simply
>
> mkdir grassdata
>
> Then you can use the script indicating that directory or use Rainer's
> approach
> to copy an existing empty location.
>
> BTW: I only create temporary *mapsets* and work in the same location
> on a cluster (in this case the location is valid for all jobs). Much
> easier...

One disadvantage though: as the location has to be on a shared volume, all
data has to be transfered via the network backend of the cluster. If you
need the data often, it might be considerably faster to copy the data to
the local volume of the node, and work there and copy the results back.
Alternative approach: you can have linked the temporary mapset, which sits
on the local volume of the node, into the location on the shared volume -
best of both worlds?

Cheers,

Rainer

> Markus