[GRASS-user] video

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 19:03:08 EST 2011

Markus wrote:
> >> - low res: no idea how to download from youtube
Hamish:
> > try youtube-dl from the linux command line.
> >
> > http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/
> > http://packages.debian.org/youtube-dl
> >
> > then you get a .flv file which VLC & alikes are
> > happy to play.
Michael:
> S'pose that would work if I used
> Linux regularly. Maybe available on the Mac?

"youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter, version 2.x (x being at least 5), and it is not platform specific. It should work in your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it however you like."

I tends to break every time youtube changes its
web interface, but there's usually a new version
of youtube-dl which follows soon after.

There are a number of firefox addons for doing
similar things.

for a completely unrelated + OT, but similar
scraping tool see also "fetchyahoo.pl" for yahoo
mail users who want to back up their webmail to a
local mbox file.