[GRASS-user] spatial join in grass

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Nov 25 16:19:34 EST 2011

On 26/11/11 3:09 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> Hi Ahmet,
>
> It seems to be a bit more complicated. I've currently got a string going on
> exactly the same topic here:
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Joining-vectors-by-location-td7016528.html
>
> My experience up to this point seems to point to the fact that it would be
> easier to put the data into a PostGIS database and perhaps to use the
> PostGIS functions after that, but I've not yet been successful in that
> area. Am getting close though:)
>
> Best,
> Daniel
Daniel,

I've taken a look at the thread; if I understand correctly, your current
issue is permissions.

Database permissions in Grass-GIS are stored by mapset - you can only
have one set of database parameters stored for one mapset. Moving data
between database types is simplest and most reliable if you use
different mapsets for different databases.

Hence: if you've created maps with DBF permissions, I suggest:

1. create new mapset, and enter Grass-GIS in the new mapset.
2. set database connection for new mapset using db.connect and db.login
3. use g.copy vect=map at oldmapset,map (running in the target mapset)

This will create the tables in the target mapset, linked to maps in the
target.

Note that you have to present the right credentials to PostGIS - owner
and password.

Richard