[GRASS-user] r.fillnulls for large area

Nick Jachowski njachowski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:07:33 EST 2011

Hello GRASS community,

I am having trouble filling the null areas in the SRTM (3 second
resolution) DEM for Southeast Asia. I think the reason is because the
region I am trying fill is too large. The region is almost a billion cells
- see g.region -p output below - but about 40% of that region is ocean
areas with no DEM data. I'm wondering if maybe the problem is that
r.fillnulls is trying to fill the ocean areas.

r.fillnulls gets to the point where it says "Building areas..." then it
says "Killed" and prints an error message.

I am using GRASS 6.4.1. Eventually I plan on using the null-filled DEM to
delineate the watersheds in Southeast Asia.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Nick

*output from r.fillnulls:*
Locating and isolating NULL areas...
 100%
Reading input raster map <r_fillnulls_11665 at PERMANENT>...
 100%
Finding buffer zones...
 100%
Writing output raster map <r_fillnulls_11665.buf>...
 100%
 100%
Creating interpolation points...
Extracting points...
 100%
Building topology for vector map <vecttmp_fillnulls_11665>...
Registering primitives...
14602532 primitives registered
14602532 vertices registered
Building areas...
Killed
ERROR: /usr/lib/grass64/scripts/r.fillnulls abandoned. Removing temporary
       maps, restoring user mask if needed:
Removing raster <MASK>
Removing raster <r_fillnulls_11665>
Removing raster <r_fillnulls_11665.buf>
Removing raster <r_fillnulls_11665_filled>

GRASS 6.4.1 (seasia_ll):/media/little/projects/seasia > g.region -p
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84