[GRASS-user] Additional notes g.extension problems on Mac

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 09:27:55 EDT 2011

Johannes wrote:
> I just wanted to post some addtional information about
> using g.extension on Mac OSX (10.6.8) with GRASS
> 7.0.svn48327.
>
> This follows probably this bug report: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1406

the root cause of the two are unrelated AFAICT.

> I tried to install the r.fuzzy AddOn with following
> command:
> g.extension extension=r.fuzzy
>
> I get back following lines which include the problem:
[...]
> fuzzy.c:1:27: error: grass/glocale.h: No such file or
> directory
> In file included from fuzzy.c:2:
> local_proto.h:5:26: error: grass/raster.h: No such file or
> directory
> local_proto.h:6:23: error: grass/gis.h: No such file or
> directory

it can't find the grass include header files.

William has applied a Mac fix to the shell script version in
grass 6.4svn, can you try that?   (ARCH_INC and ARCH_LIBPATH)
this has not been set in the grass 7 yet; if the grass 6 method
works it should be ported over. please let us know.

> Maybe this helps you analysing the problem. Is there any
> plan when g.extension should work on Mac as well as on
> Windows?

As far as I know it doesn't work well on Windows due to the
commonality of spaces in path names, the build system we rely
on doesn't like that, and there's not much we can do to change
the situation. Mac and Linux should be made to work most of the
time, but the hard truth is that g.extension is never going to
work 100% for end-users. the big question is how far into the
90%s can we get?

Hamish