[GRASS-user] "Automatic" redraw of map display in 6.4 when underlying raster changes?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 03:21:15 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>wrote:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a way to automatically redraw a map if the underlying
> > raster map is changing.
> >
> > Background: I am running a spatial simulation, and would like to see open
> > few graphics monitors (or similar)to follow how certain maps are changing
> > over time. Is there a way of doing this?
> >
> > At the moment I am using d.mon and d.rast but these are static and not
> > refresh when the underlying raster is changing. TO make it even more
> > interesting: I am doing some steps of the simulation in R and only write
> the
> > results back to the GRASS database.
> >
> > If it is not possible in 6.x, will it be possible in 7?
>
> GRASS doesn't have any mechanism to obtain notifications when maps
> change. You will need to have your code provide such notifications.

Thanks - I thought that much, but I wanted to make sure.
As I am scripting GRASS from R, this should not be to difficult - just add
the notifications to the functions which can modify grass layers(execGRASS,
writeRAST6, writeVECT6) and then react on these notifications.

> Monitoring the filesystem is likely to be unreliable, as there's no
> straightforward way to determine when files are in a consistent state.

Thanks for pointing this out and saving me some work - otherwise I might
have chosen that path...

Cheers,

Rainer

> --