[GRASS-user] "Automatic" redraw of map display in 6.4 when underlying raster changes?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 08:46:55 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rainer:
> > It would be really nice, if one could define a script
> > (in a environment variable) which will be always executed
> > if this event occurs. This could then easily be used to
> > instruct an external viewer to e.g. redraw.
>
> what kind of external viewer?

e.g. a GRASS instance, as the simulation is not locking the actual mapset.

> why not just put d.redraw inside the loop?

Because that would take time, and would not always be needed.
I am running my simulations (written in R and using GRASS) for testing and
debugging purposes on a laptop, and if they are working, I send them, for
final simulation to a hpc cluster. The reason why I would like to have an
external viewer is to simply "look into the simulation" while I am
debugging, and not having to change anything when I send it to the cluster.
OK - a debug option is included, but I am reluctant to put the viewer into
the simulation.

Effectively, I was thinking about e.g. a GRASS instance which is displaying
the layer "aliens" in the workspace ASM and automatically updates when the
layer is updated from the simulation. So I could even look into a simulation
running on the cluster, without having to interfere with the simulation.

> see also grass7 addons d.mon script (not the new fancy one in
> trunk) for `qiv` autoupdate when the composited display file
> changes.

I will - thanks. Could you point me to a website?

Cheers,

Rainer

> Hamish

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)