[GRASS-user] AddOn or Script when compiling GRASS from source

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 13 04:22:43 EDT 2011

Johannes Radinger wrote:

> So maybe someone can tell me what is the difference between an AddOn and
> a Script?

An add-on is something which is in the add-ons repository rather than
in the main GRASS source tree.

A script is a shell (6.x) or Python (7.0) script rather than a program
written in C or C++ which needs to be compiled to an executable.

The two concepts are orthogonal. The main source tree contains both
scripts and binaries, the add-ons repository contains both scripts and
binaries.

> What was the main purpose to include both in the source? Where does
> my little module fit better and is there any difference in working
> with it as AddOn or Script?

If it's written in Bourne shell or Python, it's a script. If it isn't
part of the main source tree, it's an add-on.