[GRASS-user] 6.4.2RC1 breaks libgdal1-1.8.0-grass package on ubuntu 10.04

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 17 05:34:00 EDT 2011

hi all,

since successful compile of ~RC1, have noted in synaptic package manager
that it thinks libgdal1-1.8.0-grass is a broken package.
Note, this wouldn't have arisen if I had 6.4.1 AND the newer version, I
suppose? But having only 6.4.2RC1 is why the system is having a hissy
fit ;-) the package has a depends on grass6.4.1

I foolishly took its advice at first, and asked for it to
clean/update/fix etc... it's idea of fixing was deleting it.

Took me ages to figure out how to get it back - I had to download
the .deb file (and associated files?) from where the package was at the
ubuntugis-unstable ppa, then use dpkg --ignore-depends=grass641 to get
it back on my system.

Now it's back, but synaptic is complaining again, as far as i can tell i
won't be able to do any updates until i 'fix' this broken package. It
seems getting synaptic to ignore broken packages and get on with life is
basically like telling it you have revoked its sole purpose of
existing...

I was looking into ways to convince synaptic that this dependency wasn't
there, or that the broken package wasn't there, but that was getting a
bit technical for me to figure out, diving into /var/lib/dpkg/status
where it didn't actually list grass6.4.1 as one of the dependencies
anyway... I guess I could have edited something in the .tar.gz archive
that was with the .deb archive, and repackaged that to a .deb without
the dependency and installed that??? like I said, getting a bit outta my
comfort zone...

I'm OK with ignoring synaptic and its tantrum for now. Maybe the package
in question can have the depends=grass6.4.1 updated and when that's done
I can let synaptic go back and sort its silly dramas out ;-)

So heads up for anyone else seeing that error on ubuntu - I suggest
ignoring it for awhile, and see if the relevant package can be tweaked
to accommodate ~RC1.
It may be that this dependency will exist in the corresponding packages
for the other distro versions of ubuntu too.\

Trust that's beneficial feedback :-)

-shane.