[GRASS-user] Is it possible to derive both banks of a river ?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Oct 19 14:46:04 EDT 2011

Assuming you have a raster with a sufficiently high resolution to ID the banks (e.g., 30m is probably too coarse for most cases), try one of the following.

Create a buffer that just includes the banks and make it a MASK, create a map of profile curvature (in r.slope.aspect), run r.neighbors with the max filter on the  the profile curvature map with the MASK on.

You could also create a sequence of points that represents the river channel (e.g., do r.watershed and output the streams, turn the stream cells to vector points); run r.cost with the stream points as the starting vector. Then you can query the cost map to see where it has a jump in cost around the river. You could also do a slope of the costs and then run a max filter on the cost slope map to ID the zones where cost shows the steepest increase.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)