[GRASS-user] v.in.osm2 not identifying server

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 16:21:01 EDT 2011

Richard wrote:
> Since I can't get the bulk planetfile
> import to work, I'm trying to instead work with v.in.osm2.
>
> This stalls on trying to contact xapi.openstreetmap.org;
> DNS gives 128.40.168.97 which is the same as the extension
> tries to contact, but it isn't responding.
>
> So: is the problem in the extension, or over at OSM?

both?

the osm xapi servers had been overloaded, AFAIU the main
developer for it walked away in favour of fosm.org since
he thought (in my 99% uninformed outsider's impression) the
license change away from cc-by-sa was a mistake and/or ODbL
is fundamentally flawed (I tend to agree on both). also with
sdsc hypercube not hosting a xapi mirror anymore things have
gotten worse as all the pings redirect to a single server.

since january osm devs have built a new work-alike of
xapi written in java which is not quite as complete, but can
be supported and distributed by the available resources.
for the osgeo live dvd I have documented the almost-the-same-
but-not-quite new java Xapi method, please file a wish and I'll
fix v.in.osm2 once the pile of work on my desk gets a bit less
scary.

Hamish