[GRASS-user] Removing small areas using v.clean

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:14:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Pierre Roudier
<pierre.roudier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I got a problem as I'm trying to remove small areas of a vector layer
> using v.clean with the rmarea tool: some of these small areas that are
> on the boundary of the layer are getting erased rather than being
> merged with the closest polygon.
>
> Is that an expected behaviour?

No, they should always be merged with a neighbouring area along the
shared boundary. Areas are supposed to be erased only if they are
isolated, i.e. do not share a boundary with another area. What GRASS
version are you using? There was a bug which was fixed 2 years ago.

Markus M