[GRASS-user] Re: ArcGIS vs GRASS notes

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 2 14:45:46 EDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 08:00 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I can clarify some of the questions... Arc has dropped Visual Basic
> in favor of python, in the current 10.x series though python can only
> interact with tools in the toolbox (making it quite similar to how
> GRASS works). Anything more directly using Arc libs to build
> applications at the low level requires .Net.
>
> Personally I like to explain it as GRASS fills the same role
> typically filled by Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, Network Analyst and
> Imagery Analyst (All add on extension to Arc). While not 100%
> equivalent it's similar enough in feature set. I also tend to
> recommend a combo of QGIS as the data prep/viewer/map maker and GRASS
> (not via plugin) as the backend analysis workhorse.
>
> For general Raster analysis that uses existing tools GRASS is a
> great option. In the course I help with we've avoided it though
> because the Location/Mapset concept throws too many students into
> confusion early on. Instead we've followed a course similar to the
> Utah one on how to

If you use GRASS via SEXTANTE and gvSIG, then you have all in one
package and no need to manage a location/mapset:

   http://www.oadigital.net/software/gvsigoade

Basically it's like ArcView 3.x, plus all the "[PayALotOfMoney] Analyst"
extensions (Raster, Network, etc.).

I have used the above in many GIS training courses, as an integrated
software platform for students with different backgrounds, interests
and skill levels. I have also successfully replaced ArcGIS 10 with
the above for very demanding land use/management and data analysis
projects.

Best,

Ben