[GRASS-user] Unable to get rid of duplicate polygons

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Mon Apr 2 15:09:01 EDT 2012

Markus Metz wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM, David J. Bakeman<dbakeman at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> David J. Bakeman wrote:

>>> Correct that was actually what I was using:  v.clean tool=break,rmdupl
>>>
>>> Looking closer I see that when I run v.clean it doesn't even report the
>>> duplicates that v.in.ogr did but they are still there.  The only thing that
>>> differs in coordinates or attributes is the cat attribute that grass added.

>>> Thanks I'll see if I can upgrade.
>>>
>> I upgraded to the 6.4.0 and the results are exactly the same.  The polygons
>> really are identical in every respect except for they have different values
>> in the cat column.  Is there some other grass tool for removing this kind of
>> duplicate?
>>
> After import with v.in.ogr, there are no duplicate geometries left in
> the vector. What you have now is some areas with two categories
> assigned to them. Removing the duplicates means in this case removing
> one of the two categories, for example with one of the vector
> digitizers.

I'm relatively new to grass but that doesn't make sense.  I started with
a shapefile with duplicate features.  That is polygons with the exact
same attributes and geometry (they are identical).  What I thought grass
could do for me was to read it in and delete one of the duplicates
without user intervention.  After all it identifies the duplicates so
why can't it delete one?

Are you saying that the duplicate geometry was deleted but it kept both
rows even though they were identical as well?  Is there a operation that
would identify and delete rows that differ in only the cat attribute.