[GRASS-user] Adding rows to vector map attribute table

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 24 09:22:45 EDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Daniel Victoria wrote:

> From what I recall, grass does not store the vector geometries (points)
> into the database. The points are stored in grass internal format and a
> link to the attributes in the table is used to get the values (cat
> column).

Daniel,

   That's correct ... unless one is using postgis.

>  So, I don't think inserting x/y coordinates in the table via SQL 'INSERT
> INTO' will work. For this you should try v.in.ascii or, if your data is in
> a database, you could use v.in.db. But I don't think that just updating
> the attibute database will magically create new points

   I'll see. I did not know if grass would read the attribute table and put a
point at each easting/northing since I added cat values to the table. The
worst that could occur is that I dump the postgres table and recreate the
map as v.in.ascii.

Thanks,

Rich