[GRASS-user] Re: r.grow: Manual Page Needs Additional Information

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Fri Apr 27 09:16:15 EDT 2012

On 26/04/2012 10:05, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Rich Shepard<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>  wrote:
>>   I've just been made aware of the r.grow module as part of the solution to
>> the map mis-match issue with r.stream.extract. The r.grow manual page is
>> quite clear on how to use it, but is missing important information: when and
>> why one should apply this module to a raster map.
>
> If anyone has the answer, please send me a text snipped for inclusion
> into the manual.

I am not sure if there is a single answer to when and why one should use
r.grow. I use it before generating area statistics with r.stats, e.g.:
r.stats -c admin_units,land_cover > outfile

Administrative boundaries are usually only defined on land, they do not
cover areas which in the land cover map appear as coastal lagoons, tidal
flats, and similar. So I grow the admin_units map sufficiently, before
running r.stats.

Hermann