[GRASS-user] r.sun and XY locations

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Thu Aug 9 05:15:57 PDT 2012

2012/8/9 <christian.braun at tudor.lu>

> it's clear to me that r.sun needs some sort of spatial reference.
> I thought that is why I can provide latitude and longitude grids as input
> for the very special case of an XY location. Isn't it like that?

I've heard that before, but never used it, to be honest with you. I find it
a lot more annoying to create a coordinate raster than to work with
geolocated data. I've also got the ghost of some conversation running
around in my head claiming that the location grid function is deprecated,
but I couldn't say when I've heard it, from whom and whether it's true or
not ;)

Reworkign pyWPS to create a location on the fly is a really interesting
idea ;) But I'm a little bit confused as to what you have planned - are you
wanting to do an analysis with r.sun for different rasters at runtime and
show them on demand? I would suggest running r.sun beforehand and storing
the result, since r.sun can take a long time with larger areas.

Cheers,
Daniel