[GRASS-user] Precision of raster/vector float values

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 01:35:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have a GRASS raster map which contains small values (e.g 2.5e-15) among
others.
When I try to update a attribute column (Type  = Float) of a corresponding
point vector (using v.what.rast), all small values turn in "0".
Thus I am curious about the precision of the float values of a vector
file which is probably different from the precision of raster floats. What
are the smallest
number that get correctly updated by v.what.rast?? This might be related to
the capabilities
of the underlying db-connection.

Some additional info: I am working on Ubuntu 12.04 whit GRASS 6.5SVN. My
point vector  is
connected to an sqlite db - table (standard sqlite connection).

Of course I thought about a work around (e.g. multiplication by a large
scalar). Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Johannes