[GRASS-user] Coordinate systems?

Charles E. Deaton CDeaton at corp.realcomp.com
Thu Aug 23 08:52:55 PDT 2012

I've been looking at GRASS for a few months now and for the most can't
determine if I can transform coordinate systems of vector data or not.
I'm stuck. All of the data I use (shapefiles) have been in the same
reference system (I think it's the reference system I'm talking about).
I've been trying to merge two file that are not in the same reference
system with no luck. Here are links to them.

Any of these (Q3 FIRM Layer):

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mgdl/?rel=thext&action=thmname&cid=6&cat=Flo
od+Insurance+Rate+Maps+%28Q3+FIRMs%29

Into this (National Flood Hazard Layer (NFHL) Database):

https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId
=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=12011&langId=-1&userType=G&type=12

Then select Michigan.

One appears to be in decimal and the other in lat/lon. One has
projection file and the other doesn't

If anyone can shed any light on the process to do this with GRASS or any
other Open Source applications it would really be appreciated.

Regards,
Charles Deaton