[GRASS-user] interpolation from massive vector point input

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 02:58:06 PDT 2012

Hi,

I get a text file from a hydromorphological model which includes
an massive amount of geographical points with attributes (velocity,depth,..),
which I input using v.in.ascii (around 120000 points).
The points are located in a river (20 m widht) in a resolution of
appr. 20x20 cm,
but this is not fixed and depending on their location within in the river
(points in the outer bends show rougher resolution then points in the
inner bends).
So these points are not regularly (in the sense of raster map) distributed.

Anyway I want to generate a raster surface (resolution = appr. 0.25)
from the vector points attributes, e.g  a surface of velocity and one
for depth.
Additionally to the vector points there is a line vector indicating
the shore line
of the river (depth=0 and velocity = 0).

Now I am looking for a method for interpolation of these points. I
found v.surf.icw
which would take into account that there is a shoreline which is not overflown
by the water (interpolates within the river). But it is not recommended for such
massive data point input. Is there any other recommendable way fur such
a purpose (considering the shore line and that there is 0 velocity and
0 depth on land?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,

/johannes