[GRASS-user] r.denoise segfaults on a raster of 1166468401 cells

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Dec 14 11:51:53 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> The following attempt segfaults on GRASS 6.4.3svn (nearly in the end of the
> process, if I am not wrong), running on Core i7 with 32GB of RAM.
>
> # mdenoise ASTER GDEM2 over Greece
> r.denoise in=aster_gdem2_ellas out=aster_gdem2_ellas_smoothed iterations=1
> threshold=0.8 epsg=2100

Since it is a script, you could add -x to the first line and see
where it rerally crashes.

> The computational area comprises (Rows: 32401, Columns: 36001) 1166468401
> cells.  Is this too much?
>
> Would (re-)running this on GRASS 7.0.svn make any difference?

I expect that "mdenoise" crashes which is not part of GRASS.
So an inspection of that code would be needed in case.

> I should better perform the process on a per (ASTER GDEM2) tile(s) basis,
> shouldn't I?

Not sure - you may create artifacts at the tile boundaries.

Markus