[GRASS-user] Re: Possible databases for GRASS

Thorsten quintfall at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:58:57 EST 2012

Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> writes:

> On 13/02/12 15:49, Thorsten wrote:
Hello Moritz,

>> how flexible is GRASS with regards to the DB where the GIS-data are
>> stored? I read in the docs that GRASS can now work with many popular
>> relational DB systems.
>
> This relates to storing attribute values, not the spatial feature
> information. GRASS has its own format for that.
>
> You can work with spatial data stored in databases using v.external
> via OGR. So any system supported by OGR should work.

thanks for your answer, I referred to spatial data too,  probably the
most convenient solution would be to use the OGR driver that supports
CSV data, since it would not be very difficult to transform lisps nested
lists into the CSV format.

>> But what about an entirely unconventional data
>> store like an object-oriented database implemented in lisp?
>> Is it just a question of correct data-types, that might be implemented
>> in any language or system, or do the programming language and the DB
>> system play an important role?
>>
>> In other words, could I have a look at a data format GRASS works
>> with, define a class in an object-oriented lisp system that reflects
>> that format, and GRASS will be able to access and work with the data?
>
> Each database backend for attribute management has its own driver in
> the GRASS source code. If you can implement a similar driver for your
> system it should work. Or you can use the ODBC driver if it is easier
> for you to create an ODBC driver for your system.

That might be a bit over my head.

> See [1] and [2] and notably the READMEs for more info, as well as the
> GRASS Programmer's Manual, but that's currently offline...

Thanks for the links, I will have a look.