[GRASS-user] Not being able to produce decent-look color-composites

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 16 19:16:48 EST 2012

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> what I normally do is first run r.colors -e color=grey on each band so
> I get a equalized color composite. Then I run r.composite. So far I've
> got good results...

The main problem with equalisation (or just using the raster's range)
is that the resulting mapping is specific to that particular map. If
you have multiple maps, regions which are identical may appear
different due to each map using a different mapping.

If you have all of the maps in advance, you can create some kind of
mixture, generate a colour table for that, then apply it to the
individual maps. But that won't work if you're producing maps on a
regular basis and you need tomorrow's map to be consistent with
today's.