[GRASS-user] Area/poly from lines

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 26 14:37:58 EST 2012

Why do you want to add "width" to these?

A GIS is not like a drawing or CAD program. There is no width to a vector line--including shapefiles. These lines do have geometry. As vector primitives (i.e., lines in the GIS), they are the connections between nodes. In GRASS, they also have topology (shapefiles have minimal topology). What 3D program is having trouble reading your data?

For display and export to a graphic program, you can set the displayed line width in the vector layer properties.

You can create parallel lines a given distance apart with v.parallel. But that may not be helpful.

Michael