[GRASS-user] Vector Overlay Map Disappears in 3D View

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 05:38:13 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> I am pretty sure that the 3rd point is simply falling "under" the DEM. Did
>> you check from there in NVIZ, too? And did you check the z coordinates?
>> (easiest done with v.out.ascii in case of points).
>

> Markus,
>
>  I just tried a different approach and this failed, too. But, the command
> output follows my description.
>
>  Using the wxPython GUI I selected '3D' mode first. Then I added the DEM
> raster map followed by the vector maps of streams, lakes, and proj_pts.
> Lakes does not display (see attached screenshot), but it appears that the
> centroids in that map are displayed.
>
> Commands:
>
> Starting 3D view mode... Loading raster map <aber5m at beaver_lake>...
> Translating colors from raster map <aber5m at beaver_lake>...
> vector map <streams at beaver_lake> fall within
> current region
> Error loading vector map <streams at beaver_lake>
> Vector map <streams at beaver_lake> loaded (905 features)
> Vector map <lakes at beaver_lake> loaded (44 points)
> Vector map <lakes at beaver_lake> loaded (338 features)
> <proj_pts at beaver_lake> loaded (5 points)
> No features from vector map <proj_pts at beaver_lake> fall
> within current region
> Error loading vector map <proj_pts at beaver_lake>
>
>  The streams map is of type lines, not points.
>
>  The lakes map is of type polygons and is just below the center red point
> symbol in the attached screenshot.
>
>  The proj_pts map is shown, but the lakes map is not.
>
>  What might be going on here? And, how do I create this 3D display so I can
> add notations (in the GIMP) and make a nice presentation?
>
> Rich

Hi,

in 3d view mode you can display points and lines only. The only
solution I can see is quite complicated and I'm not sure if it would
look good. You could create new raster map from the DEM which has
different cell values where the lakes are placed. This means to
rasterize the vector map lakes and then somehow combine this raster
and DEM (r.patch?) and then change color rules so that the lakes are
blue. Then, you display the original DEM in 3d view and change its
color to use colors from the new raster. If the lakes are flat enough,
it could help. Hope you understand what I mean.

If you would like to export an image, click on 'save display to
graphic file' in map display toolbar near 2d/3d view combo box.

Anna