[GRASS-user] Grass 6.4.2 on mac with lion

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jan 14 10:23:28 EST 2012

Hmm, I'm guessing you have my GRASS 6.4.1, and since I've been too busy to package the 6.4.2 RCs you're trying it yourself.  Michael Barton has been doing a better job of keeping up with OS X packages and I'd recommend getting his, though he's also been quiet lately, maybe busy or on vacation.

Anyways, there are different graphic interfaces that can be used for different parts of GRASS.  X11 for a Linux-type interface and Aqua for OS X.

On OS X, X11 is only needed for display monitors - this is the --with-x option that is failing, which is why I assumed X11 was missing.  Try adding these flags:

--x-includes=/usr/X11/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib

OpenGL is used by NVIZ.  NVIZ uses the TclTk, which works best in the Aqua framework form (and the default in the system).  So configure:

--with-opengl=aqua

One more thing - GRASS configure needs a lot of help to get the rest of my frameworks and system stuff.  It doesn't know to use UnixImageIO for PNG or TIFF, or how to find the GDAL, PROJ, GEOS, cairo or freetype frameworks or some other things in system frameworks, you need to spell it all out.  And you probably want to make an OS X application.  See the Mac readme in the source/macosx folder for more info.