[GRASS-user] Building 6.5svn on 64-bit architecture

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 20 22:11:12 EST 2012

Rich Shepard wrote:

>    I ran 'svn up' on the grass-6.5 directory on my laptop running
> Slackware-13.37/x64, then configured and tried building. The make fails
> because the main.o is 32-bit not 64-bit.
>
>    Is there another configuration option I need for this? Or, is the issue
> something else?

It's impossible to say without more information (e.g. exact errors
messages).

The main issue is that everything has to use the same architecture:
you can't link a 32-bit executable against 64-bit libraries or vice
versa.

>    I added '--enable-64bit' to the configuration but that made no difference.

That option only affects certain platforms, specifically AIX, HP-UX,
IRIX and Solaris.

On Linux, unless there's something wrong with your build environment,
you shouldn't need any additional options. The compiler should
automatically generate 64-bit object files and the default library
search paths used by the linker should only contain 64-bit libraries.

If you need to use any libraries which you compiled yourself, ensure
that they were built as 64-bit. Don't point any --with-*-includes=
options to directories containing 32-bit libraries.