[GRASS-user] Re: setting up GRASS svn

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 20 23:44:32 EST 2012

Hi Markus and mailing list;

I tackled the svn setup today. after several hrs of web browsing,
uninstalling old versions, and trying a few approaches to svn commands,
I think I have succeeded. the 'info' under GRASS "HELP>ABOUT GRASS GIS"
now shows I have 'GRASS GIS 6.4.2svn50340 (2012)

A couple of hurdles I had on the way... simply following your initial
instruction of:

> If you compile yourself, consider to switch to the 6.4.x release branch
> version (stable), which continuously receives bugfixes, using
> the command:
>
> svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4
> grass64_release

did something in a terminal, seemed to indicate there were a lot of bits
to update to my existing 6.4.2RC2. But I don't think that command by
itself did anything to my GRASS version?

I tried running above, then doing 'configure' (with several custom
settings) and 'make' and 'checkinstall' which kept the computer busy for
awhile, but still didn't seem to change my GRASS install... still
6.4.2RC2 (2011) but not a svn version and not 2012??
After doing this, re-running 'svn update' suggested it was current, but
the GRASS program itself told me something else??

I ended up following tips from
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_SVN

i.e. first downloading and installing an svn snapshot. This web page was
the only place I found that gave any clear info on how to start off with
svn versions.

I noted in the INSTALL files the process of updating svn was more
similar to this website than to Markus' tip above... but the install
file is dated July 2010. Is 'svn checkout' a newer option?

It now seems I'm on track. Were my initial blunders actually working
without me knowing, or was the latter approach the correct thing to do,
and Markus' tip is what is used for subsequent updates of an existing
svn version of GRASS?

Regards,
Shane.