[GRASS-user] v.to.rast, r.to.vect, "stable" transformation

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 05:01:53 EST 2012

On 26/01/12 10:29, Johannes Radinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as it seems that there was something wrong with my post yesterday
> I send it again (if everything was ok already yesterday, sorry for
>  double posting):

Your post went through - but some mail readers don't show your own
posts, and some mailing lists don't send you your own posts...

So what i usually do when checking, I go into google and search for
the topic of my post - if it was posted, it will show up in e.g. gmane
or any other site. If it does not (within a few hours) you can assume
that it did not went through and post it again.

Sorry - no idea about your question.

Cheers,

Rainer

> For a certain application I need to transform a river from the
> raster format into the vector format and vice versa.
>
> I'd like to know how good does it work to tranform a line feature
> from vector into raster and back again into a vector? Is there any
> "stable" line which doesn't change anymore after x-times
> transforming back and forwards? I haven't had time to test it but
> I thought about:
>
> v.to.rast r.thin r.to.vect
>
> this should result in a "stable" line or does it need several
> iterations?
>
> Has anyone tested such things and can share the experience?
>
> Probably it depends on the resolution and the shape (bends etc.)
> of the line vector...
>
> Maybe there is already a tool out which generalises, produces and
> tests a "stable" raster-vector-line.
>
> Any hints and suggestions are mostly welcome...
>
> best regards, Johannes

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University