[GRASS-user] dpi output from ps.map

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 11:14:05 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Gerald Nelson <nelson.gerald at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to have a raster eps or pdf that has a dpi of 300. Reading through
> the old list entries it appears that ps.map had a hard coded limit of 75
> dpi.

The spatial detail represented in the output of ps.map is defined by
the resolution of the current computational region. You can test that
by changing the resolution of the current computational region.

If you want to edit eps files created by ps.map in other software,
that other software usually asks for the dpi to use. If that other
software does not ask for the dpi settings, use a different software
that can import eps files ;)

When you convert eps to pdf, e.g with ghostscript, you can control the
dpi settings with -dPDFSETTINGS. Max dpi is here 300.

> Is this possible to change?
You might need to check the manual of the software you use to convert
eps to pdf.

> Or is there some way to get an eps file that Adobe Illustrator thinks is 300
> dpi?

I don't know Adobe Illustrator, but Gimp asks you for the dpi when
importing an eps file. That is, you can import the same eps file with
different dpi's to GIMP and decide what meets your requirements best.
Then you could save the file in a format that Adobe Illustrator
understands and where Adobe Illustrator does not automatically change
the resolution.

HTH,

Markus M