[GRASS-user] GRASS-QGIS plugin and running GRASS independly

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Tue Jul 24 02:43:41 PDT 2012

hi,

I normally use only GRASS GIS (6.4.3 and 6.5 compiled from source) on a Ubuntu 12.04 machine. Last week I tried to install qgis as a viewer-fronend for my GRASS maps. Thus I followed also the qgis wiki and installed the grass-qgis-plugin (with 'sudo apt-get install gqis-plugin-grass'). Unfornately this somehow destroyed the starting settings of my grass gis... Trying to start grass 6.4 (selfcompiled) with grass64 in the console gives now following error:

$ grass64
Cleaning up temporary files ...
Starting GRASS ...
python: can't open file '/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Received EXIT message from GUI.
GRASS is not started. Bye.

Qgis itself is working perfectly also with the plugin. The plugin comes with a package called grass-core for 6.4.2 which seems to overwrite my association with "grass64". At the moment I don't need qgis to use my own grass 6.4.3 or 6.5 (with add-ons), the core is sufficient but how to start grass6.4.3 with the GUI??

/Johannes