[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] please help review osgeo live dvd summary docs

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jul 25 07:45:14 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hamish:
>> > I know, I was trying to make the instructions generic enough to work
>> > with either of the two datasets. I figured those using Spearfish would
>> > see the .dem and .10m and figure out that they should pick one, but
>> > those running in NC would be hunting around for an exact name which
>> > didn't exist.
>
> MarkusM:
>> So it is better to use the spearfish location but a raster name from
>> the NC dataset and let users hunt around for an exact name that does
>> not exist?
>
> Yes! I'd like to encourage a little exploring and making the student
> think instead of exactly telling every move to make click by click. But
> no so abstract that they get lost.

... well, with the today's click-and-try mentality this means: click-and-throw.

Examples *must* work out of the box from my point of view.
Also, there is not much advertisement coming from an outdated dataset
of the '80th (Spearfish) while having for many years a way more
recent data set available, published, and meanwhile used in most
GRASS manual pages.

> No need to apologize, we get a better end result from frank but courteous
> discussion.

Yes: so please let's forget about the "Spearfish" data set.

My 0.02 cent,
markusN