[GRASS-user] dependencies for libgdal1-dev

Damian M maddalena at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 1 11:25:05 PDT 2012

I am having issues with gdal on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine.  After upgrades a
little while back  I cannot run or compile GRASS 6.4svn or 6.5svn that were
working previously, but I can run a version of GRASS installed at the
command line with apt-get.  I also cannot use R's spatial packages that
depend on gdal.

The issue seems to be with libgdal1-dev, which does not seem to be on the
machine.

dpkg -s libgdal1-dev

produces:

Package `libgdal1-dev' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

apt-get install libgdal1-dev

produces:

or been moved out of Incoming.

 libgdal1-dev : Depends: libgeos-dev but it is not going to be installed

sudo apt-get install libgeos-dev

produces:

or been moved out of Incoming.

 libgeos-dev : Depends: libgeos-c1 (= 3.2.2-3ubuntu1) but 3.3.1-1+opengeo is
to be installed

Which seems to indicate a version conflict with the dependency libgeos-c1.

I have tried addressing the broken package issue (such as what is described
here:
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/04/how-to-fix-broken-packages-in-ubuntu-or-debian/)
but it has not fixed the problem.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Damian