[GRASS-user] Problem installing GRASS Addons

David Montoya jdmonto0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:25:34 PDT 2012

Hi Regie

These are the instructions that I use to compile Grass 6.4.3svn on Ubuntu
12.04:

1. Install the repository from UbuntuGIS (I noticed that you have done it)

2. Install the following libraries (There are some libraries that I
installed in order to compile Qgis, but I don't remember which are for
Grass and which for Qgis, they are mixed, so install them anyway)

sudo aptitude install freeglut3 lesstif2 libblas3gf libdap11 libdapclient3
libepsilon0 libfftw3-3 libfreexl1 libgdal1-1.7.0 libgeos-3.2.2 libgeos-c1
libgfortran3 libgif4 libhdf4-0-alt libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 liblapack3gf
libmysqlclient18 libnetcdf6 libodbc1 libogdi3.2 libpq5 libproj0
libspatialite3 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0 libxerces-c28 libxss1
mysql-common odbcinst odbcinst1debian2 proj-bin proj-data python-numpy
python-opengl python-support python-wxgtk2.8 python-wxversion tcl8.5 tk8.5
autotools-dev comerr-dev krb5-multidev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libdap-dev
libdapserver7 libgcrypt11-dev libgdal1-dev libgeos-dev libgif-dev
libgnutls-dev libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutlsxx27 libgpg-error-dev libgssrpc4
libhdf4-alt-dev libhdf5-serial-dev libidn11-dev libjasper-dev libjpeg-dev
libjpeg-turbo8-dev libjpeg8-dev libkadm5clnt-mit8 libkadm5srv-mit8
libkdb5-6 libkrb5-dev libldap2-dev libltdl-dev libmysqlclient-dev
libnetcdf-dev libp11-kit-dev libpng12-dev libpq-dev libproj-dev librtmp-dev
libspatialite-dev libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libssl-doc libtasn1-3-dev
libtool libxerces-c2-dev libxml2-dev unixodbc unixodbc-dev uuid-dev
zlib1g-dev gdal-bin libgsl0ldbl  libqt4-designer libqt4-help
libqt4-scripttools libqt4-test libqtassistantclient4 libqtwebkit4
libqwt5-qt4 python-central python-gdal python-qt4 python-sip posstgres
postgis subversion sqlite sqlitebrowser flex byacc libncurses5-dev
libreadline6-dev libtiff4-dev ffmpeg libavcodec-dev libavcodec-extra-52
libavformat-dev libavformat-extra-53 libswscale-dev libswscale-extra-2
mesa-common-dev libglw1-mesa-dev tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev fftw-dev libblas-dev
liblapack-dev lesstif2-dev libcairo2-dev libstdc++6-4.6-dev gettext
build-essential libglu1-mesa-dev liblablgl-ocaml libqwt5-qt4-dev cmake
bison pyuic4-dev-tools python-qt4-gl python-psycopg2 python-wxtools
python3.2-dev python-rpy2 txt2tags doxygen  graphviz libfcgi-dev libgsl0-dev

3. Download Grass 6.4.3svn

cd ~/Downloads
svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4grass64_release
cd grass64_release

4. Configure and compile:

CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.5 \
--with-tcltk-libs=/usr/lib/tcl8.5 \
--with-blas=yes \
--with-cairo=yes \
--with-cairo-includes=/usr/include \
--with-sqlite=yes \
--with-mysql=yes \
--with-mysql-includes=/usr/include/mysql \
--with-mysql-libs=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu \
--with-freetype=yes \
--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
--with-freetype-libs=/usr/lib \
--with-python=yes \
--with-postgres=yes \
--with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/postgresql
/usr/include/postgresql/internal" \
--with-motif=yes \
--with-lapack=yes \
--with-odbc=yes \
--with-nls=yes \
--with-geos=yes \
--with-readline=yes \
--enable-64bit \
--with-cxx
(You shouldn't get any error, but if it appears, don't follow to the next
step and let us know the problem)

make
(You shouldn't get any error, but if it appears, don't follow to the next
step and let us know the problem)

sudo make install
cd ..

5. You have compile Grass successfully. If you wish, you can delete the
sources:

rm -fr ~/Download/grass64_release

6. Now, you can install your addon.

cd ~/Grass/grass-addons/imagery/i.landsat.toar
make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/local/grass-6.4.3svn/
sudo make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/local/grass-6.4.3svn install

PD: If you wanna link Grass and Qgis, you need to compile Qgis, too.
Take into account that if you install Grass7, it is a version under
development with some bugs.