[GRASS-user] r.basin ? for plane geometry of polygon shapefiles

Marco marco_gjv at ymail.com
Thu Jun 7 04:15:26 PDT 2012

Hi Margherita,

Grazie. Its not related to hydrology. I just want to get some shape indexes to characterize networks of polygons (periglacial patterned ground).

I came to your Grass Add-on because the indexes used in 2D basin morphometry are really adequate to characterize each individual polygon.

I have already used SAGA GIS and GVSig, which automatically supply shape parameters relating the perimeter of the polygon to its area in various ways. And that´s already fine information.

From that I know if the polygon is more elongated or more circular. And maybe more information won´t add to much... But I still would like to try. Mainly because of the indexes which grab the axis and  which relate the polygon to and ideal shape.

Maybe I should focus on doing one thing at a time: 1) axis calculation; and 2) deriving the ideal shape from the centroid of the polygon.Then I´d have great information.

My next step is to go inside you python code (of which I know little) and try to extract the relevant pieces.

Thank you.
Marco

(gonna start a MSc related to cryosphere geomorphology next Fall)