[GRASS-user] NVIZ can't allocate enough memory

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Mon Jun 11 02:10:09 PDT 2012

Hi list,

I'm having some trouble using NVIZ. It's worked before using similar data,
so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. My goal is to overlay aerial
photos over a digital surface model, but I always get errors that GRASS
can't allocate enough memory. It doesn't matter how small I make the
region. The same problem occurs when I try to do that without the aerial
photos, or if I try to take e.g. the red band from the photo and use it as
height without putting a photo on top of it. Here's the error:

(Mon Jun 11 10:54:34
2012)
nviz elevation=dom_complete at PERMANENT

ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 18446744071974792324 bytes at gsds.c:575
(Mon Jun 11 10:54:34 2012) Command finished (0
sec)

Does anybody know what could be the problem? If I'm interpreting the bytes
correctly, that'd be about 10^10 gigabytes, which several orders of
magnitude larger than the rasters involved. Thanks!

Best,
Daniel