[GRASS-user] 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: ridge extraction from DEM

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:39:15 PDT 2012

Thomas,

Again, you'd have to look to see if this can give you the results you need.

The word "ridge" is a qualitative term that refers to a general landform category. For your purposes, how high does a landform need to be to qualify as a ridge: 1m, 10m, 100m, 1000m? Similarly, how long does it need to be and what is the acceptable range of profile slope along a ridge-top?

These feature extraction methods deal in numbers, so they will probably never exactly match the subjective perception of a landform as a ridge. This is especially true if you are interested in how people (in the past and in the present) perceive a landform and its suitability for settlement. But you should be able to get reasonably close to some kind of consistent perception of what is a ridge, and the GIS methods have the advantage of being explicit, transparent, and repeatable--essential for science of course. But there is probably no "best" method for ID of ridges.

I haven't tried the convergence method, but will do so to see how it turns out.

Michael