[GRASS-user] Correct import of a global grid (0E to 360E) to GRASS (-180W to 180E).

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jun 30 13:57:06 PDT 2012

Which way does it get flipped?

Most NetCDF files will import via r.in.gdal correctly, but they are displayed as (from L->R) as 0->180E/180W->0. This is the way that most climate model files are created and then stored. This presents some problems in displaying vector overlays (I've reported this to the bug tracker). There has been a problem in NetCDF files importing upside down. This fixed in the current version of GDAL AFAICT.

Michael

On Jun 30, 2012, at 1:00 PM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org>
 wrote:

> From: Marcello Gorini <gorini at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Correct import of a global grid (0E to 360E) to GRASS (-180W to 180E).
> Date: June 30, 2012 4:36:19 AM MDT
> To: <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Dear all,
>
> I am pretty sure this must be easy, but I just can't find the correct answer.
>
> My grid is a netcdf geographic grid that spans from 0E to 360E and from 90N to -90S.
>
> I use r.in.gdal to import it, but it gets flipped since GRASS region spans from -180W to 180E.
>
> How to do it right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcello.
>

> From: Daniel Lee <lee at isi-solutions.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Correct import of a global grid (0E to 360E) to GRASS (-180W to 180E).
> Date: June 30, 2012 5:05:45 AM MDT
> To: Marcello Gorini <gorini at gmail.com>
> Cc: <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Hi Marcello,
>
> It sounds like you're trying to import your map into the wrong coordinate system. If you have the correct coordinate system of the NetCDF, you should be able to define a location with that CRS using either the correct EPSG code or a WKT string. If need be, you can always create a WKT string as well, although I don't know how to do that.
>
> Best,
> Daniel
> --
>
> B.Sc. Daniel Lee
> Geschäftsführung für Forschung und Entwicklung
> ISIS - International Solar Information Solutions GbR
> Vertreten durch: Daniel Lee, Nepomuk Reinhard und Nils Räder
>
> Softwarecenter 3
> 35037 Marburg
> Festnetz: +49 6421 379 6256
> Mobil: +49 176 6127 7269
> E-Mail: Lee at isi-solutions.org
> Web: http://www.isi-solutions.org

C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University