[GRASS-user] Re: r.region for intersection with vector map?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 11 15:49:30 EDT 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, Hermann Peifer wrote:

> Try: g.region vect=analytical_boundary

> To be honest: until 5 minutes ago, I didn't even know that r.region
> existed.  I thought you made a typo. As I don't understand what r.region
> is good for: I would use g.region as already said, then followed by:

Hermann,

   I've not closely examined r.region to understand how it differs from
g.region. But, wanting a module to calculate the intersection ('AND') of a
raster map and a vector map, I looked in the raster command list. :-)

> r.mapcalc small_dem_east = dem_east
>
> You could then remove dem_east, if you'd never need any DEM values outside
> analytical_boundary

   I suppose that both r.region and g.region will work.

   I just bought a 3T Seagate external hard drive having USB3 capabilities.
As soon as the adapter cards arrive I'll back up both large DEM maps (about
102G of data) just so I don't need to download or reproject them in the
future if the project analytical area expands.

   Thanks much.

Rich