[GRASS-user] Copying Raster Maps to Another Partition/Disk

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 12 13:34:19 EDT 2012

   I need to make space on my server's hard drive; the unclipped raster maps
for one project have taken all available space. I'm now formatting (ext3) an
external 3G hard drive for data storage use and want to move the large files
there, then work on isolating the project area on each one at a time.

   g.copy, according to the manual page, copies from another mapset in the
search path to the current mapset. What command should I use if I want to
copy a single raster map to another device (e.g., from ~/grassdata/project/
to /dev/sdb) to ensure that all relevant files are moved? The directory
structure of ~/grassdata/project is:

VAR   cats/  cell_misc/  dbf/    hist/    windows/
WIND  cell/  cellhd/     fcell/  vector/

and I want to move the raster maps dem_east and dem_west. Then I'll copy
back one at a time to work on it.

Rich