[GRASS-user] I do not understand how region/projection/coordinate system are intertwined

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 15 10:22:01 EDT 2012

Fridtjof Schiefenhövel wrote:

> it seems I can't solve this problem:
>
> ->create a location with a mercator projection (i want to have degrees as the coordinate system)

That's a contradiction. Only lat/lon locations use degrees as the
coordinate system. A Mercator projection (whether "normal" Mercator,
transverse, or oblique) has coordinates in distance units (usually
either metres or feet).

A Mercator projection /can't/ have coordinates in degrees, as
coordinates have to be linear while Mercator has one coordinate vary
non-linearly with the angle from the tangent circle.