[GRASS-user] grass prompt when changing locations

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 15 11:07:46 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Tyler Smith wrote:
>> Manually resetting the prompt works fine, after eval 'g.gisenv`, so
>> that is what I'm using now.
>
> There isn't any simple way to fix this. A command such as g.mapset
> cannot change the environment of another process (e.g. the shell from
> which g.mapset was run).

Thanks for the explanation Glynn.

I'm running Grass from Emacs, and have written the rough framework of
a dedicated Grass mode. So instead of running g.mapset, I call M-x
grass-change-location, which prompts for location and mapset, then
calls g.mapset with that information. The final piece was getting the
same function to reset the prompt, and now it's relatively seamless.

Cheers,

Tyler