[GRASS-user] How Does GRASS Handle PostgreSQL Database Name Change?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 21 16:41:34 EDT 2012

   I changed the database names so they represent the project rather than the
state in which they're located. The postgres ALTER DATABASE command does the
job quite well. Unfortunately, grass seems to be confused by the name change
and any attempt to access map attributes or overlay (intersect) the table
causes the wxPython GUI to crash and a message appears on the console that
grass was unable to open the old database name (error #16007.1) and unable
to describe the table _LAB (error #16010.1).

   After changing the postgres database name I ran db.connect to associate
the new name with the location and mapset. It appears that this does not
change where grass has the old name tucked away. The VAR file has the new
database name.

   I want to better understand how grass interacts with postgres and where
it needs to be modified to reflect the new database names. If this is in
one of the db.* modules I missed seeing it.

TIA,

Rich