[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief Output Question

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:08:47 EDT 2012

Inverted relief on shaded maps (and also on aerial photos or satellite images) is called pseudoscopy. It's just an optical illusion. If you live on the northern hemisphere you are more 'used' to see images with illumination from the south (and vice-versa for southern hemisphere), so when you have illumination from north you see things 'inverted' (the same happens if you rotate 180 degrees a aerial photo or sat image).

To me, in Brazil, I use illumination from NW (315) or NE (045).

cheers

Carlos

PS. Micha, when azimuth = 315 the sun is from North west

--
Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil

http://carlosgrohmann.com (http://carlosgrohmann.com/)
Can’t stop the signal.