[GRASS-user] Re: problem using r.watershed

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:11:34 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Filipe Silva Dias
<filipesdias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Out of curiosity and tried with Grass 7 with -m (and 30 m
> resolution) and I obtained this error message:
>
> r.watershed -m elevation=DemPT2 at Grass7 threshold=10000
> stream=streams
> SECTION 1 beginning: Initiating Variables. 5 sections total.
> SECTION 1a: Mark masked and NULL cells
> SECTION 1b: Determining Offmap Flow.
> SECTION 2: A* Search.
> SECTION 3: Accumulating Surface Flow with MFD.
> SECTION 4: Watershed determination.
> SECTION 5: Closing Maps.
> ERROR: Rast_make_random_colors: min (1) > max (0)

Apparently no basins were determined, probably because the threshold
of 10000 for flow accumulation was never reached. Maybe the current
region was either too small or did not cover parts of the DEM DemPT2?

BTW, if you want to try out GRASS 7 in a separate mapset, you don't
need to copy over the DEM if you just want to read it. Within the
mapset Grass7, the following commands should work:
g.region -p rast=DemPt at ETRS89
r.watershed elevation=DemPt at ETRS89 stream=stream threshold=10000 -m

Markus M