[GRASS-user] Import .kml with v.in.ogr; GRASS-6.5.svn

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 1 16:54:43 EDT 2012

   In February 2011 Gabriele N. started a thread on how to import a number of
.kml files. Hamish provided a 3-line script (and Micha and Markus M.
contributed to the thread, too).

   Today a client sent 16 .kml files that I need to import; they're all in
long/lat so I use that location for the import. My version of the script is
not working; grass cannot open the source files. The session:

GRASS 6.5.svn :~/grassdata > for file in "/home/rshepard/projects/data/*.kml"; do
> v.in.ogr dsn="$file" out='$file'; done
ERROR: Unable to open data source
        </home/rshepard/projects/washington/buckhorn/data/*.kml>

   All file names start with a letter and compound names have underscores so
SQL doesn't complain.

   Is this a bash syntax error, a grass error, or a user error?

Rich